February 25, 2019

Non-Toxics Solutions for Mold and Mildew

Call Now Being a green-seal certified cleaning company, the question we get most often is, “Can you get really disinfect or get rid of mold naturally?” And, the answer is yes! Natural remedies have been around for centuries, we did not always have harsh chemicals like bleach to disinfect and get rid of mold. Mold is a fungus and it occurs naturally in our environment. Mold loves moisture so naturally you find more of it in bathrooms of homes especially when it is combined with left over soap residue, built up hair, dirt and oils in backed up drains. Mold produces allergens and may cause unwanted symptoms for those that are sensitive. “Black mold” can be very toxic and can be very dangerous.
It is a good idea, first, to get your home assessed for the type of mold and find out what is causing it. Some of the main culprits of mold include drippy faucets, lack of ventilation, clogged drains and leaks behind walls and cracked grout.
One of the best things to do to prevent the mold from happening, especially in the bathrooms is to the keep the area clean. You can regularly dust, vacuum and ventilate the area to avoid the mold from growing and also keep the bathroom dry. After every shower, rinse the shower area of soap residue and use a rubber blade tool to clean off the excess water. If you notice any leaks, get them repaired as soon as possible to avoid mold problems. We know busy schedules can play a role as well, therefore hiring a professional cleaning service may be the best option for you.
If you are already past these stages and the mold problem has begun, there are several effective ways in cleaning the mold. Bleach is the least effective solution to getting rid of mold. Bleach will not penetrate non-porous surfaces; therefore, the mold will reoccur. Although this seems the best approach because it is such a harsh chemical, it can damage surfaces in your home.

Natural Ways To Get Rid of Mold and Mildew

  1. Vinegar: Spray undiluted white or apple cider vinegar on the mold and let it sit for an hour. Afterwards, wipe the mold. There is not reason to wash it off, as this will create more moisture.
  2. Borax: Although Borax can be toxic if swallowed; it is a naturally occurring substance that can be used for cleaning. Make a mixture of one cup of borax with one gallon of water and scrub the mold. Wipe the area clean.
  3. Hydrogen Peroxide: Use a 3% hydrogen peroxide and spray the mold. Wipe clean. Hydrogen peroxide is an effective anti-fungal and anti-bacterial and will help fade the areas the mold has colored. Use caution on surfaces with color as it may fade their color.
  4. Tea Tree Oil: Tea tree oil is also anti-fungal and anti-bacterial and it is an essential oil that is harmless to humans and pets. Make a solution of one cup of water with one teaspoon of tea tree oil. Spray the surface that has mold and scrub clean.
  5. Grapefruit Seed Extract: Like tea tree oil, grapefruit seed extract is a natural mold killer without the odor. It is just as effective as tea tree oil and you only need 10 drops to one cup of water. Spray the mold and let it sit for as long as you can. The citric acid will attack the mold spores.

Share on Social


Book Your First Cleaning

We have high standards for your home.
Book Now